Come Work For Pelican Bomb!
Pelican Bomb is now hiring a full-time Managing Editor.
The Managing Editor edits and oversees production of Pelican Bomb’s online publication of arts writing and criticism. The online publication is one of four programs spearheaded by Pelican Bomb and is the driving voice behind the organization. To this end, the Managing Editor will work directly with the Executive Director to further our mission and goals.
He or she is a highly motivated individual with a passion for producing thoughtful, timely content that engages and expands audiences. The Managing Editor will work to further develop the existing editorial vision of the publication and create alignments with other Pelican Bomb programming, which includes exhibitions, affordable art sales, and a critic-in-residence program. The Managing Editor must live in (or be willing to relocate to) New Orleans.
- Commission and produce weekly content including reviews, essays, interviews, and portfolio presentations with regional relevance
- Create editorial schedule and manage writers to ensure content is delivered on time
- Oversee calendar of events and compile event listings
- Upload content onto CMS (currently WordPress) with technical proficiency and accuracy
- Cultivate creative publishing and programming strategies with executive team
- Work alongside social media manager to curate relevant content to drive traffic
- Create metrics for evaluating editorial strategies and compile reports for executive team showing results
- BA required
- Three or more years experience in editing, copy editing, and proofreading for art publications
- Strong writing and editorial skills
- Ability to create editorial calendars and enforce deadlines a must
- Ability to package and tailor content for a diverse group of readers, especially those new to contemporary art
- Strong network of contacts including artists, writers, curators, and cultural producers
- Ability to work independently with minimal oversight and to thrive under deadline pressure
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Word for Mac, and other standard office procedures and equipment
- Knowledge of SEO preferred
- Knowledge of InDesign preferred
- Skills in video and sound editing are a major plus
- Has great people skills
- Must be a public face for the publication and be willing to attend events on behalf of the organization
- Is professionally motivated by the opportunity to make a positive impact
- Willing to help in all areas of Pelican Bomb’s organizational programming when needed
- Willing to take risks, think creatively, and be experimental
Compensation commensurate with experience (with room to grow).
Please send a resume and cover letter outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position, your current/most recent salary, and how you heard about this opportunity to [email@example.com](mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org ).
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Pelican Bomb is an Equal Opportunity Employer.